Friday, August 9, 2013

The Gift...

18 years ago I was given a gift. I didn't know what a gift it would be at the time, like all new parents I was frightened and unsure. My biggest fear was that I was going to mess up, I was going to ruin this amazing little creature... I was going to do everything wrong.

The crazy thing is, she did more of the doing than I did.

You see, my daughter is a teacher.

My daughter has taught me so much in the past 18 years.


She taught me the usual things, like, I could love someone more than I ever imagined possible. That there is something that matters far more than myself... But mostly, she taught me how to not do things. How to unlearn. How to take the risky move of understanding that what you believed to be previously true may not be, and you need to move in a different direction. That my life experience didn't have to rule my future. That I was strong.

My daughter taught me how people who love you treat you... and how people who do not love you treat you.

My daughter taught me that I could accomplish more than I ever knew possible.

My daughter taught me that every day should, and will, have laughter. That it is incredibly important to be silly, and that it's totally okay to be a complete nerd.

My daughter taught me that it is more important to do what you love to do and to be who you really are, instead of who they said you should be.

My daughter taught me Spongebob songs, and strange Japanese pop-culture references. She taught me how to do the eyebrow dance, and how to wiggle your tongue and snap your fingers at the same time. I taught her some stuff too, along the way.

My daughter is 18 now, and while I know there will always be times when she will need a mom, I am looking forward to becoming her friend, because she is such an amazing human being, and I am proud to know her. I want to watch her go into the world and make it hers. I want to keep learning from her.

I tried to give her everything I never had. Not material things... The important things, the things you can't see at first glance. I hope I did well. I did my best, just like she taught me.

I love you Charlotte. Happy Birthday. Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment